Wednesday, January 23, 2013


Stripping, stripping and more stripping. I spent quite a lot of time stripping grease, and paint off of every single component and part on this lathe. I'd have to say that alone took up the majority of time on this project. I used Citrustrip and the process generally was to slather on a coat of stripper, strip the majority off with a putty knife, then apply more stripper, strip with wire brushes and steel wool then switch to paint thinner to get off all the residue. Some sheet metal pieces where then sanded, while rough castings had an angle grinder with wire wheel applied to them. All in all a dirty messy process that I'm glad was over.

Here are some pieces in various states of cleanup.

No comments:

Post a Comment